Monday, July 14, 2008

The Boston Public Library


I met teacher Angela in the courtyard of the Boston Public Library on Saturday and we went to lunch on Newbury Street (at Stephanie's--I had poached salmon salad--Angela had chicken, which I'm sorry to say did not look as tasty as my salmon). After lunch we went to Filene's and saw what may be the ugliest purse/bag that has ever been created in the history of the world. It was white and runny green and plastic--truly hideous--I can't do its uglyness justice. It was a Jessica Simpson bag. I wanted to buy it as a gag gift but it was $75! Back to the library: the Boston Public Library is a beautiful building with many art exhibits, an oudoor courtyard perfect for meeting friends and taking lunch (they also have a cafe), and various free lectures and speeches. It is the first public library to allow people to borrow books and materials and take them home to read and use. There are many gorgeous restored paintings throughout the library by John Singer Sargent (as well as other artists). Currently they have an exhibit on the third floor: American posters from the first world war. I love those old nostalgic posters. However, my favorite room in the library is on the third floor behind the poster exhibit: a small room with the most charming dioramas-- based on famous masterpiece paintings. You must take a look.

































No comments: